Friday, October 15, 2010

Historic Downtown Alma ~ Fire 10-14-10

What a sad day for Downtown Alma. There really are no words to describe the feeling of witnessing everything yesterday. Anyone who was there, can tell you it was just a sick feeling. My heart ached as I watched part of our historic downtown be taken by fire. My continued thoughts and prayers go out to all the business owners who lost their businesses! I had a chance to talk with many of them yesterday and shed tears with some too. Although I do not own a storefront in the downtown, my business home is in Alma, and this downtown has been part of many of my photographs. Our community has been through so much lately, but one thing that always gives me hope, is in the face of hard times, it's a community that always pulls together. A huge thank you to all the Firefighters and Officers who worked on site. Please continue to pray for their safety. According to the Gratiot County Herald there were Fire Departments from Alma, Ithaca, Breckenridge, St. Louis and Mt. Pleasant on site helping. It was amazing to see the teamwork as they all pulled together. It was also such a blessing to see all the area downtown businesses doing everything they could rather bringing, drinks, food, etc. Like I said we may be a small town but we are one that pulls together. God Bless you all!!

I couldn't bring myself to pick up my camera too many times. I don't know, I guess I don't have it in me to take pictures in moments like this. But I did take some photos because this downtown means so much to me and my business and this was my way of "feeling" what was happening. I did share these yesterday on facebook and have had many people ask to share them on their personal facebook pages so I thought I'd put them in a more public place where people could access them or look at them.

Please feel free to pass this link on to anyone or you can access the album link from my facebook page.
















till next time...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haley your images are amazing -- the evoke such emotion that I can not find the right words. I feel for your town. I hope recovery comes quickly for all.

Denise Snyder said...

So sad. :( I am sorry for you and your town. Your images are so powerful.